03 February 2014

Si Te Sientes Alegre...

Holaaa!! 
I must say, this week was a very great, full of learning week. 

First off though, Happy Birthday to Maizey and Jonah this week! Man, I havent even been gone a year yet, and everyone is already getting so OLD! hahaha but hey, me too.... another couple months Ill be 21... ay ay ay! I was thinking how weird it is... none of you even "knew" me when I was 20... haha 

Anyway.... yes. It was a great week. During study earlier this week, I came across a scripture that I instantly loved. Doctrine and Covenants 136:28-29. I dont know exactly what it is in English, so I wont use the exact words. haha but I really liked how it said, if you are happy, show your praises to God, but if you are sad, pray that he will help you change that and be happy! God wants us to be happy because we are his children. He has given us SO many blessings, we should always be thankful and happy. But as humans, we will have these times where we feel sadness... but we dont need to feel it, because we are here to have joy! 
I really liked those verses, and thought about them a lot this week. 

This week, we had a death in the ward. A lady, Gladys, had cancer, and had been suffering for quite a while. My companion and I had visited her once, and had passed by a few times to visit her again. She lives with her mom, husband, son (21ish) , and daughter (18). Every time we stopped by, someone would tell us she wasnt feeling good and was resting, and that we should stop by another day. 
We stopped by this week on Wednesday, and she wasnt doing very good at all. We were talking with her mom, and she starts telling us that her husband was killed by cancer, and now its killing her daughter, and she was just really down for that. I mentioned to her that I too, had lost my mom to cancer, and that I understood how she felt. She told us to try back on Friday, and if the daughter still wasnt feeling good, she would like to talk to us too ;) 
Thats when it hit me. I realized it was Garrett's birthday, and it was his birthday, 4 years ago, when we found out that mom's cancer couldn't be healed this time. I remembered at first, how we had "snow" in the backyard, and how everyone helped, served, and loved us so much during that hard time. But then, I just felt different. Not sad, not discouraged, just "off". Those next couple days, I just kept thinking about all of that. I couldn't get it off my mind. I don't really know why. I honestly think it was just Satan coming in to distract me, and he was doing it. I really couldnt focus. 
On Friday morning, we stopped by to visit this member. She wasn't home, because the daughter had died that morning... they were in the chapel getting ready for the funeral and viewing. That hit me worse. I was already having a hard time remembering what it was like, and now I saw it happening to someone else, right before my eyes. We decided to go down to the church to see if we could help anyone there. The walk over there, my mind kept racing... I knew it was going to be hard. We walked it, and seeing that family, I couldn't help but cry! I don't even know them very well, but just understanding their feelings, it was hard. 
The Bishop came up and talked to us, and asked me if I wanted a blessing. That was perfect. He gave me the perfect blessing I needed in that moment, with the exact words I needed to hear. That blessing reminded me of the power of the Priesthood. I KNOW its real! Without a doubt, its the power of God here on the earth. He knows us, he knows our struggles, and he knows what we need. And through the Priesthood power, he can give it to us. 
Since that blessing, I have felt so much better. Stronger, happier, more focused. Its perfect ;) 

This week too, we had interviews with President. It's always great to be able to talk to him and his wife and hear their inspiring words. I talked to Pres. about school, and we are going to talk to my counselors and see what needs to be done. They can do whatever I need to do. I just need to know what to do ;) 
They also came to our ward! They are so loving, it was a neat experience too for our ward to hear from them and meet them. 

Guess what??? We have Stake Conference in a couple weeks..... QUENTIN L COOK is coming! Cooooll!!! ;) 

I got letters this week! From Micah and family and the Kendalls! ;) Thank you so much! 

Im so jealous you get to go to the temple open house!! how fun!! I wish I could see it... but I guess Ill just go when Im home ;) enjoy it!! invite friends! ;)

This week coming up will be a good one too! We are starting English Classes again, and we will have a baptism! ;) WOO HOO!! 

Ok, thats all for now! Enjoy your week, Be happy, and be strong! 
I love you!! 
--Hermana Severtson




No comments:

Post a Comment