27 May 2013

Kami letter from Antofagasta (dated 5/27/13)


Hello to the Home Front!

Kami Severtson Mon, May 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM
To: Toby Severtson 

Wow! crazy that you are all out of school!! can´t believe it! it´s cold here in Chile, and only about to get colder, so it´s hard for me to remember that it´s summer there and schools out!
And congrats to Porter in his SAT scores!! Dude, that´s amazinggg!

We had another great week. Full of lots of fun things. We had our Newbies Gringos Conference with the President and his wife on Wednesday, which was super fun. I got to see my companions from the MTC again, and learned a lot! Then, after, some of the missionaries (including my comps) had a couple hours until their bus left, so they got to do splits with us. I was with Hermana Howell, and it was so neat to work and teach with her again. Day to day here we don´t see much improvement in teaching and Spanish, but after working with her again after 2 months, we were able to see a lot of progess! Both of us spoke so much more and understood so much more than the MTC. I got to see the 2 elders from Queen Creek who were in my mission prep class too, so that was pretty cool. I also got to meet a lot more missionaries, there are a LOT from arizona right now! I met one girl, Hermana Cluff, who is from Mesa, Stapley and University area, so super close to grandma and grandpa. But I think she said she´s in the other stake.

Then on Thursday, we had Zone Conference. It was all the missionaries in Antofagasta and Calama. They had all new missionaries get up and bear their testimonies. Surprisingly, I had a lot of people after tell me that my Spanish is good! That´s SO comforting and confidence-boosting, because I don´t really feel like it so much.. haha It´s also cool, because all the Assistants to the President were there, there are 4 right now, and 2 of them are my Zone Leaders from Iquique. Yeah, they were great. haha There´s one elder who sang in the conference, and he won Chile´s Got Talent here, so he´s super good! pretty cool! Hermana Garbin and I last transfer won a "Celestial 7"... ok to be honest, I´m not exactly sure what it is.. haha I think it´s like 7 categories of things like number of lessons, investigators we brought to church... stuff like that. So we won one of them. And Hermana Bruce made us this SUPER yummy banana bread. MMmmm she makes yummy treats! haha she made us brownies and chocolate chip cookies too during the two conferences.. YUM 

Another day this week, we did intercambios with the new "traveling training sisters" they have here. Kinda like Zone Leaders, to go out with the missionaries to help them, but for the sisters. I went with Hna Núñez, she is from Paraguay, is 31, and a doctor!! She´s super sweet, and it was super fun to go with her. I learned a lot!

Along with the gringos learning Spanish, a lot of the Latinos learn English. It´s super fun to help them and hear them speak english!! We taught our English class again with those in our ward and some of our investigators, it´s so fun ;) love it! 

I FINALLY GOT THE PACKAGE!! Thanks so much for all that ;) And thanks to Grandma/pa Porter for the candy and Gma Glasgow for the card ;) the cardigan fits great, and I love it! and the music and mms ;) thanks so much! 

we had a noche de talento with the ward (talent show). Us 4 sisters did a musical number.. super fun. I´ll try to attach the video. I played the piano, and the other 3 played whatever they could find. One is shaking a jar of rice, banging on a pot like a drum, and playing a frying pan like a guitar. ;) super funnn! 

The other night, we were looking for some less actives in the ward, and we ran into this guy Sergio. He´s 77 and has Parkinson´s. and lives alone. When we were getting up to leave, he fell! Right on a shelf full of glass things, and one or two broke. and he couldn´t get up. we were super scared, helped him up and to his bed. We found a phone number of a friend on his table, and when we called the number, it was the wrong number. We didn´t know what to do! He assured us he was okay, and once we were certain, we left. but it was super scary! 

We went hiking this morning. There´s a cement anchor on the cerro (not mountain, but kinda..), and it was a lot of fun. I attached a couple pictures. 

I think, if we have time, I´m going to buy some new shoes today, mine are hurting my feet. So I´ll use my credit card. So just watch for the charge to come through, and transfer money over from one of my accounts ;) Thanks!

Oh yeah, so last week I forgot to tell you, but it had RAINED!! It was like 4 sprinkles.. but still. it rained. and everyone was super excited about it. 

Tell the boys a good missionary prep thing to do would be to read Preach My Gospel and study it. That´s one thing I wish I would have done better before I left. ;) That, and to go back and read conference talks, and to read the Book of Mormon over andover again! 

Have a great week! love and miss you!
--Hermana Severtson <3






No comments:

Post a Comment